Hischke’s Happenings! November 5, 2018

posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:31 PM by Jane Baker

Important Dates:

November 7  8:30-9:30 am Elementary Prospective Parent Tour

November 7  6:30-8 pm Elementary Prospective Parent night

November 8  9:20-12:30 3rd Grade Field Trip - Celestial Seasonings

November 8 4-6 pm Skate City

November 8-10 7-10 pm Romeo and Juliet Fall Play

November 12 Veterans Day Observed (No school or Eagles Landing)

November 14  8:30-9:30 am Elementary Prospective Parent Tour

November 19-23 Thanksgiving Break (No school or Eagles Landing)

Community Website-Master Events Calendar, Important Announcements, Teacher Blogs, School Information

Hello to all Stargate Families,

grat·i·tude

/ˈɡradəˌt(y)o͞od/

noun

1. the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

I love the month of November! It’s a time to reflect and to give thanks for what we have in our lives. Last Friday on my way to school, I had an opportunity to reflect on my life. I am married to my best friend; he is kind and giving and his support of me is unwavering. I am also the mom to two beautuful children. My oldest is 18 and navigating life during his gap year. He has an amazing soul and takes life one day at a time. My youngest is 13 and she is still learning about her strengths as a young lady; I would hate to tame her strong spirit so I guess I will join her on the ride and gently guide her from time to time. I have a job that I love and a community that I get to partner with for their child’s education. Did I mention all the amazing little humans I have the pleasure to interact with and guide on a daily basis? I also get to work with the most amazing staff that love what they do and have dedicated their lives to improving the lives of children. I am truly thankful for all I have.

It’s one thing to think about all that we are grateful for, but it’s another to express it in words. It’s so simple really, the act of gratitude and expressing our thanks takes so little effort, but it speaks volumes.

Throughout the month of November, please take a moment to express your gratitude to the staff at Stargate. Please remember to include the front office staff, the custodial staff, teachers, mental health team, Eagle’s Landing, learning services, and the paraprofessionals. They are all a team working to make Stargate the best place for students and a note of appreciation is greatly appreciated.

In closing, I would like to share a quote I shared with the staff this week.

“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.”

~Melody Beattie

Rise above,

Missy Hischke

Stargate Elementary Principal

Clubs

Battle of the Books

Stargate School is excited to be offering the popular co-curricular program.  Battle of the Books, to our students! Adams 12 Battle of the Books is a district program that encourages kids to read by offering them exciting, friendly competition based on their knowledge of a group of books.  The goal of the program is to encourage interactive reading of excellent books.

The club will be held on Monday’s starting Nov 5, 2018-April 15, 2018 3:15-4:15 Teachers will bring your kids outside at 4:15pm.

4th Grade will meet in  Mr. Van Patten room 160

5th Grade will meet in Mrs. Vaughan’s room 147

The cost is $60.00 for 6 months of club meetings, access to all ten books, School Battle, trophies, medals, certificates and end of club party. Please register here

Battle of the Books 4th Grade

https://tinyurl.com/sgbob4

Battle of the Books 5th Grade

https://tinyurl.com/sgbob5

Once you have signed up, the fee will be will be entered into IC and can be paid at https://payforit.net/

Skate City Fundraising event

Thursday, November 8th 4-6pm. Catch the Skate City Fun Bus and get a free ride to your school party. The bus will pick up K-5 students at the school by 3:30pm. This is a ONE-WAY ONLY trip. All parents MUST pick up students at Skate City by 6pm!
Please send in your completed permission slip EARLY to secure your spot on the bus!
Parents worried about kids losing/forgetting their CASH the day of the event can turn in a labeled envelope attached to the permission slip. Cash will then be passed back to the kids once they are lined up at Skate City.
Students are encouraged to bring extra money if they wish to purchase food/drinks, as they are NOT included with admission.
**K-5 Parents let the office know if you are interested in volunteering!**

Fall Play-Romeo and Juliet Tickets On Sale NOW

Join us for our first production in the new Stargate Performing Arts Theatre, William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, running from November 8th - 10th (Two performances, 2pm & 7pm on the 10th). We will take you back to the 80's in style! It is 1988 in the Verona District of San Francisco, a young aspiring punk musician Romeo falls for the daughter of his family's greatest enemy, the upbeat and idealistic Juliet. Mercutio, fights in secret to win the heart and love of her best friend Romeo, while Tybalt maliciously plots her vengeance against all Montague scum, and the rich golden boy Steff Paris pursues the hand of Juliet and the Capulet empire. In a world filled with overbearing hate and manipulation, Romeo and Juliet must fight to keep their new and true love alive, yet ultimately their fates end in tragedy. A unique take on a classic tale with the majority of the Shakespeare language uncut and in tact.

Please come and enjoy this wonderful production, however, please keep in mind the Shakespeare language, the story, and that some of it's tragic/dramatic nature may be too mature for younger students. Tickets are available now ONLINE

It is that time again...Yearbooks!

Hello! The elementary yearbook is now in the production process!  Thank you to our our 5th grade student committee and parent volunteers for taking on this project.  After much research and discussion, it was determined that it is best to go with Pictavo again this year.  The elementary book can be ordered online only and the cost is $50 ($52.63 with tax) until January 19. After that date, the price increases to $55 until March 16.  All orders must be placed no later than March 16. Please know there is not an option for personalization this year. I would recommend you keep a copy of your purchase receipt in case there is an issue at distribution.  The distribution date is scheduled for early May.  The school code is 82025.   

To order the 2018-2019 book online, please use the following link:  https://commpe.pictavo.com/PictavoSchool/FindSchool

Yearbook Committee Meeting

We will meet on Thursdays, from 3:15-4:00 in an elementary room to be determined.  Please plan to pick your child up by 4:05.  The meeting dates are as follows:  November: 8 (first meeting); 15, 29; December: 6, 13; January: 10, 17, 24, 31; February:  7, 21, 28 (last meeting).

Governance Board Accepting Applications for Open Seat

The Stargate Board of Directors is now accepting applications to fill a vacated parent board seat. Interested applicants should complete an online application no later than Monday, Nov. 12 at 5:00 pm. As part of the process, all of those that apply will be interviewed by the Board prior to a vote during the next Board meeting (Wednesday, Nov 28 at 6:00 pm). The successful applicant will serve until the next election (May 2019). At that time the appointed position will enter the election and a candidate will be elected to complete the remaining term.

For more information, visit the Governance website, contact recruiting@stargateschool.org, talk with a current board member or email governance@stargateschool.org.

She’s Back!

Please welcome Lauren Gibson, our school counselor, back from maternity leave. She will be with us three days a week on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.

Adroit Donations can be dropped off at the loading dock North side of the Performing Arts Building. Thank you!

Health Policy-When to Keep your Student Home

District policy states your child must stay home for at least 24 hours if he/she is sent home from school with any of the following:

• Fever of 100 or above

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

Windsock Day

If the temperature is below 20 degrees Fahrenheit or heavy precipitation is present, students will need to enter the school through the commons entrance (left of the main entrance) and they will sit with their grade level in the Elementary Commons. We politely ask that you do one of two options at drop off:

• Parents can drop their student off in the loop and your child can walk themselves to the commons and then sit with their grade level peers

• Parents can park in the parking lot and then walk their child to the commons

We have approximately 500 students that we place in the commons and 92 kindergarten students in the gym, so it is a busy morning during a Windsock Day. We would invite parents in, but space is at a minimum. The commons is supervised by three to four Eagle’s Landing staff members, our assistant principal, Sara Moeller, and me (Mrs. Hischke).

Indoor recess will be supervised by adults/teachers in the classroom. Student dismissals will also be conducted through the main entrance. Kindergarten will be dismissed from the elementary commons, so please use the side door that is left of the main office entrance.

Colorful windsocks will be displayed at different locations around the school (two at the south entrance and one at the north entrance) to indicate that conditions exist for an "inside day".

Inclement Weather Plan

Stargate follows the Adams 12 School District directives for inclement weather school closure. In addition to a full day cancellation, Adams 12 has instituted a Late Start option. In the case of a Late Start, classes will begin at 10:15 am to allow for safe travel in the morning. Dismissal will be at normal time. Stargate’s full Late Start schedule can be found here: Late Start Schedule. If the determination has been made that all schools will be closed or operating on a 2-hour delay, the district will make every effort to announce a decision by 5:30 a.m. Given how quickly weather conditions can change in Colorado, decisions are typically not made the night before.

School closures or 2-hour delayed starts due to inclement weather will be communicated as follows:

• District website at www.adams12.org

• School website

• Email and District text message to parents/guardians (Keep in mind, you will only receive alerts if schools are closed or operating on a 2-hour delay. If schools are open and operating on a normal schedule you will not receive an alert.)

• In order to receive District text messages, opt-in today by texting “YES” to 68453

• District’s hotline (720) 972-4000

• District Social media, including Facebook (/adams12fivestarschools) and Twitter (@adams12)

• Local media outlets

Staff information to help with processes

• Sandy Francis - Elementary 504 Coordinator K-5 and ELL Coordinator for K-12

• Nancy Provataris - Elementary School Psychologist

• Chris Fee - K-3 Learning Services Provider

• Patrick Holmbo - 4-6 Learning Services Provider

• Sara Moeller - Elementary Assistant Principal

• Veronica Vieyra - Administrative Assistant to Missy Hischke and Sara Moeller

• Lori Bustamante - Elementary Registrar

• Traci Snouffer-Elementary Health Aide

Comments