Hischke’s Happenings! March 18, 2019

posted Mar 18, 2019, 3:11 PM by Jane Baker

Important Dates:

March 20- 6:00pm Governance Board of Directors Business Meeting

March 21  Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q and Cafe Rio Dining out night

March 21-2nd grade Field Trip Growing Gardens-Martinac and Falace only

March 25-29 Spring Break-no school for students/Eagle’s Landing Spring Break Camp

April 1- Elementary Staff Development Day-no school for K-5 students only

April 1- Spring Election Nominations Open

April 2- 6:30pm Executive Director Search Community Town Hall

April 8  Kindergarten Cap and Gown Pictures

April 9- 6:00pm Incoming Middle School Parent Information Night

April 10-11 3rd grade Overnight Field Trip Denver Museum and Nature and Science

April 12 8:25 am Battle of the Books- Internal school battle with the final two teams

April 17- 6:00pm Board of Directors Meeting

April 19- Adroit Expo Day

April 23- 6:00pm Art Show Reception

April 24- 8:30-3:30 5th grade Field Trip-Coors Field

April 24- 6:00pm State of the School Board Presentation

April 25-27 Mary Poppins Spring Musical

April 29 5-9pm Elementary District Battle of the Books

May 3  9-1pm Kindergarten Field Trip Denver Zoo

May 3 9:15-2pm pm 5th grade Field Trip Math in the Mall Flatirons

May 6-7 5th grade Science Fair

May 7-General Music Concert (grades 1 & 2- 6:30pm, grades 3 & 4- 7:00pm, 5th grade- 7:30pm)

May 8 8-1pm K-5 Field Day

May 9 Elementary Assessment Days

May 15 8:30-2:30 3rd grade State Fair

May 17 9:15-11:45 1st grade Field Trip Boulder Dinner Theater

May 21- 6:00pm High School Graduation, Macky Auditorium/ University of Colorado Boulder

May 22- 6:30pm 8th Grade Continuation-Stargate Fieldhouse

May 22 9-1:15 5th grade Field trip Train Winds Park

May 23- 8:30am Kindergarten Graduation-Stargate Elementary Commons

May 23 11:30 Dismissal - last day of school

Community Website-Master Events Calendar, Important Announcements, Teacher Blogs, School Information

Hello,

I would like to lead with a quote for this week’s message:

“Like wildflowers; You must allow yourself to grow in all the places people thought you never would.”

~E.V.

This simple quote spoke to me this weekend as I was walking through our neighborhood with my husband and our dog. Seeing the snow melt and the plants readying themselves for regrowth lead me to several thoughts. Spring is such a great time to reflect on the growth we have made over the past year. In my reflections, I thought about ways in which we support the growth in students. Naturally, in a school environment we strive for yearly gains in academic endeavors and we strive for social emotional growth as well, but what do we do to promote growth outside of school?

We will often have play dates for our children, set up forts, work through a variety of science experiments, and the list goes on. There is also value in giving your child the freedom and space to grow. With our busy lives, it’s important to plan for and ensure our children have unstructured time in which their interests and creativity can be explored. Look for these opportunities over Spring Break.

I remember back to when my children were young and my daughter was playing in the backyard. (This was me giving her unstructured time). She must have been outside for about ten minutes when all of a sudden I heard a loud scream. Of course I went to check on her and it was obvious she had made an attempt to climb our tree, but she slipped and her foot was wedged between two branches. So there she was with her foot stuck and the dogs were excited to finally have her captive to give her a million wet kisses. She wasn’t hurt other than a scrape or two, and her face was much cleaner from all the licks, but the most valuable lesson she learned that day was to never climb a tree in cowboy boots. Creating these opportunities are priceless as they generate conversations, opportunities to learn, and creative experiences.

Enjoy your Spring Break and the many wonderful opportunities it brings.

Missy Hischke

Stargate Elementary Principal

CMAS Schedule Update

The CMAS schedule needed to be slightly altered due to the two snow days we had last week. Today instead of testing the students in 3rd and 4th grades, we pushed their testing back to Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday morning. The rest of the schedule has stayed the same.

K-5 Soccer Camps

Does your student love to run? Do they want to learn more about soccer? Then the Stargate K-5 Soccer Camps are perfect for your student. Stargate HS Senior, Kenzie Brumage is hosting a K-5 Soccer Program for her Capstone project. The Soccer Camps will be held April 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th from 9 am to 10:15 am. Registration is required, please click here to register your student.

Middle School Information Night

5th grade parents, mark your calendar for April 9 at 6:00pm for the Middle School Information Night held in the Secondary Commons. Join Mr. Cable, Secondary Principal, and Mrs. Reid, Middle School Counselor, for a presentation and opportunity to help answer some of your questions about middle school.

Spring Musical Mary Poppins-Save the Date!

Mark your calendar for Mary Poppins, opening in the Stargate Performing Arts Center from April 25th through the 27th! We are pleased to present this classic show featuring the same musical numbers you know and love. Jane and Michael Banks are out of control and are in dire need of a new nanny. Writing their own ideas of the qualities of their caretaker, a mysterious young woman appears, the answer to their wishes in her peculiar way. Mary Poppins takes the children on memorable adventures, teaching the adults and children many lessons along the way.

Tickets are on sale on soon, so keep your eye out for updates!

After Prom Volunteers Needed

Stargate's second annual After-Prom party will be occurring on Saturday, April 13th in the Field House following the prom.  This event is created and run entirely by parent volunteers. The After-Prom provides a safe place for the kids to hang out after their prom with lots of fun activities, food and giveaways.  Even if your student is not yet a junior or senior, please consider volunteering to help make this a successful event so the After Prom will still be around when it's your student's junior/senior year.

We will need volunteers Friday night and Saturday to help set up, Sunday to clean up, and of course the most help will be needed at the event itself which runs from 11pm to 2am.  It's a late night... but grab a cup of coffee and come help our kids have fun and create memories while remaining safe. Here is the link to the Sign-Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080849a9af0-2019

The 2nd Annual Stargate Flower Fundraiser, March 4th - April 12th

The High School students are selling Mazzotti Farms Patio Pots and Hanging Baskets again this year, to raise money for the parent sponsored After-Prom. After-Prom provides a safe, alcohol and drug-free environment where kids can celebrate their Prom night from 11:00 - 2:00 a.m. A portion of the profits will also go towards general school-wide needs.

They will make great gifts for Mother's Day, teacher appreciation, or to spruce up your yard for springtime! Don’t miss out this year.

Online ordering is available on the website. If you prefer to pay by cash/check, order forms are available to download and print out on the website as well.

http://community.stargateschool.org/get-involved/fundraising/fundraising-updates/after-promspringfundraiser

Eagles on the Move

Fourth grader Callan Heys and his hockey team, the Lafayette Locomotives won the CAHA State Championship played at the Pepsi Center. Way to go Callan!

Health Policy-When to Keep your Student Home

District policy states your child must stay home for at least 24 hours if he/she is sent home from school with any of the following:

• Fever of 100 or above

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

Staff information to help with processes

• Sandy Francis - Elementary 504 Coordinator K-5 and ELL Coordinator for K-12

• Nancy Provataris - Elementary School Psychologist

• Chris Fee - K-3 Learning Services Provider

• Patrick Holmbo - 4-5 Learning Services Provider

• Sara Moeller - Elementary Assistant Principal

• Veronica Vieyra - Administrative Assistant to Missy Hischke and Sara Moeller

• Lori Bustamante - Elementary Registrar

• Traci Snouffer-Elementary Health Aide

Comments