Hischke’s Happenings! January 22, 2019

posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:27 PM by Jane Baker

Important Dates:

January 23-7:00pm Stargate’s Board of Directors Meeting

January 24-6:30pm Geography Bee in the Performing Arts Center

January 30-2:15pm-3:30pm Dodgeball team practices

February 1-4:00pm Dodgeball Tournament

February 12- 6:30pm General Music Concert (gades 1-4)

February 13- Evening Conferences all grades (normal Wednesday schedule)

February 14-Elementary- Conferences all day-no school for elementary students, Eagles Landing Full Day Out-separate sign up. (Secondary students have a regular school day and evening conferences only)

February 15- Conferences, no school for students all grades, Eagles Landing Full Day Out-separate sign up.

February 18-Presidents Day Holiday-no school for students, no Eagle’s Landing

February 19-Staff Development Day-no school for students, Eagles Landing Full Day Out-separate sign up.

Planning Ahead:

March 9- 6pm Stargate Gala-Omni Interlocken Hotel

March 25-29- Spring Break

May 21- 6:00pm High School Graduation, Macky Auditorium/ University of Colorado Boulder

May 22- 6:30pm 8th Grade Continuation-Stargate Fieldhouse

May 23- 8:30am Kindergarten Graduation-Stargate Elementary Commons

Community Website-Master Events Calendar, Important Announcements, Teacher Blogs, School Information

Greetings!

I came across this quote the other day and I found it particularly fitting for where I am in life.

“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”

― Maya Angelou

Many Stargate families remember me when I was in the classroom teaching 5th and 6th grade. Making daily connections with my students and their families truly filled my bucket in ways that were indescribable. I am often asked if I miss being in the classroom, and there are times when the answer is yes. Please know that I love what I do now; I know I make a difference in the lives of students and families.

I have to be purposeful in my interactions with others and I just want everyone to know that today I came to work to thrive! I had meaningful conversations with the staff and made many connections with the students. Even they can’t believe the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl again!

I made the time to be present in classrooms and participate with the students. One could say that my heart is full. When a principal has a day like today that means she didn’t get through all of her emails, but made sure she made human connections.

Create an opportunity to thrive! Whether it is at work or at home with your family. It’s amazing what it does for your attitude and your heart.

Rise above,

Missy Hischke

Stargate Elementary Principal

Spelling Bee

Last Thursday, many 4th and 5th grade students participated in the Stargate Spelling Bee. The competition was fierce and exciting to watch.

We are tremendously proud of all the students that participated and we are excited to announce the winners for the elementary building. Brody Krause spelled his way into first place, Sampson Wright took second place, and Owen Simpson came in third place.

Brody and Sampson will represent Stargate Elementary School at the Adams12 District Spelling Bee on February 6 at Shadow Ridge Middle School. Please join me in wishing these two gentlemen good luck!

A BIG thank you goes out to the spelling bee sponsors, Colleen Vaughan and Lisa Zelinger Cohen and the judges Danielle Kim and Jodi Ware. Without their commitment, it wouldn’t be such a successful evening of academic competition.

Passion Projects

Adroit Expo is coming! Mark your calendars for Friday, April 19th, 2019! This is an annual Stargate tradition that generates a tremendous amount excitement from now until the big Adroit Expo Day!

The Adroit Expo is the culminating day where we invite the entire Stargate community to demonstrate and show off their passions! On April 19th students, staff, and community members alike will display the items that are unique and personal to them. Past passion projects include the building of a rally car, creating a cooling system, canning vegetables, learning to crochet, and baking.The possibilities are endless.

Over the next few months the students will be working on their passion projects both in the classroom and at home. The 19th of April will be the Expo where every student, staff and community member is welcome to display their passion! We will not have traditional classes on this day as we will spend our time visiting hundreds of tables and hearing all about each individual's ideas. The sky's the limit with this projectm, but there are a few parameters!  K-5 students will have some time each month to work on their projects. All projects must be entirely student- led, designed and displayed. This is your student's passion, help guide them on how they can present and represent their ideas. All student will show or present their passion. Could be something they have made, pictures, trifold, video, story, song, etc. The goal is for students to highlight their passions.

We need your help! Students will begin planning and setting goals leading them to our ADROIT EXPO. Be on the lookout for requests for supplies and materials that you can donate to help.

School Safety

For safety of all our students, please always cross at the crosswalks and remind your student to always cross at the crosswalk. There are crosswalks located near the front door of each building, between the buildings and on the west side of the Secondary building near the traffic signal. We have a number of students (and parents) darting across traffic during pick up and drop off and this is dangerous. In the loop, please pull to the curb before letting your student in or out of the car. Students should not be dropped off or picked up from the center lane of the loop. Please take a few extra minutes to make sure our students are safe during these busy times. And please stay off your phone while in the loop so all eyes can be on keeping our students safe. A little extra courtesy and awareness is appreciated.

Social/Emotional Parent Committee

It’s time to get back together for another meeting to discuss the possible social/emotional programs that we should explore as a school.

Meeting Date: January 31, 2019

Time: 8:00 am

Below are the recommended programs by the parent committee:

• Conscious Discipline Inc.  By Dr. Becky Bailey

• InFocus

• Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence

• Random Acts of Kindness

• Mind Up

I look forward to seeing all of you on January 31st.

CMAS Testing Dates

As the standardized testing dates near, I thought it would be helpful for families to have the tentative schedule especially since it starts the week before Spring Break. Please remember that the CMAS testing in the elementary building is for 3rd through 5th grade students. All the students will have three sessions for both ELA (English Language) and Math. In addition, the fourth grade students will be assessed in Social Studies this year and the 5th grade students will be tested in the area of Science; each additional subject will also have three different testing sessions.

A more detailed schedule will be sent out in the next few weeks. The information will also include how you can best support your child as they prepare for the assessments.

Conferences

Parent-teacher conferences are right around the corner. They are scheduled for February 13th and 14th. Please refer to your student’s homeroom teacher for additional information and look for the conference information in your child’s Monday Folder. We are looking forward to seeing you then.

ACCESS (ELL) Testing

The ACCESS testing window is from January 14-February 15. Parents/guardians of students taking the test will be sent an email. Feel free to email our ELL Coordinator, Sandy Francis (sandy.francis@stargateschool.org) with questions.

Order Your Elementary Yearbook

The elementary book can be ordered online only and the cost is $55 plus tax until March 16.  All orders must be placed no later than March 16. Please know there is not an option for personalization this year.  I would recommend you keep a copy of your purchase receipt in case there is an issue at distribution.  The distribution date is scheduled for early May.  The school code is 82025.   

To order the 2018-2019 book online, please use the following link:  https://commpe.pictavo.com/PictavoSchool/FindSchool

Health Policy-When to Keep your Student Home

District policy states your child must stay home for at least 24 hours if he/she is sent home from school with any of the following:

• Fever of 100 or above

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

Staff information to help with processes

• Sandy Francis - Elementary 504 Coordinator K-5 and ELL Coordinator for K-12

• Nancy Provataris - Elementary School Psychologist

• Chris Fee - K-3 Learning Services Provider

• Patrick Holmbo - 4-5 Learning Services Provider

• Sara Moeller - Elementary Assistant Principal

• Veronica Vieyra - Administrative Assistant to Missy Hischke and Sara Moeller

• Lori Bustamante - Elementary Registrar

• Traci Snouffer-Elementary Health Aide

Comments