December 13 The Rusty Bucket and Panda Express Dining Night Out

December 18 8:15-9:20am 3rd Grade Economics Fair

December 18-20-No After School Sibling Supervision

December 21 Professional Development Day - No school or Eagles Landing

December 24-January 6-Winter Break-campus is closed

January 7-Staff Development-no school for students

January 8-Assessment Day for Elementary Students-Eagles Landing by sign up only

January 9-Elementary Students return to regularly scheduled school day

Community Website-Master Events Calendar, Important Announcements, Teacher Blogs, School Information

Hello to all Stargate Families,

This week I would like to lead with a quote from one of my favorite authors.

He said, “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”

~Roald Dahl from the Minpins

This time of year always brings me back to my childhood. I was a curious child to say the least; my mind was constantly wandering and wondering. I was a dreamer and liked to find the beauty in all things.

I was one of the lucky ones. My parents didn’t squash my spirits or make me take off my rose colored glasses. They gave me the freedom to explore, the time to use my imagination, and room for growth. Sitting here I am tearing up as I remember a small section of our backyard that was a dirt patch. I would play in the dirt for multiple hours each and every day creating massive cities for my Fisher Price Little People. I’m sure my parents longed for green grass, but they waited a long time before finally finishing that section of our yard because they knew how much creativity and freedom it offered me.

As we head into the holiday season, I plan to look for all things magical and spend quality time with my family. Please know that I wish you and your families the same.

Rise above,

Missy Hischke

Stargate Elementary Principal

January 8 Assessment Day

Tuesday, January 8 is an assessment day for all students in grades K-5. The day will look different for students in K-2 and students in 3rd-5th grade. Students only need to be at school during their scheduled assessment time.

All students in grades K-2 will need to come to school for a 15 minute reading assessment. All times for students will vary depending on when you sign them up to come in and take their assessment. After they are done with their assessment they will be able to go home for the rest of the day. You will need to use the SignUp Genius links below to sign your child up for an assessment time.

The schedule looks different for students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. All students in 3rd-5th grade will come to school from 8:00am  to 12:00pm and will take two different assessments. The students will take an iReady reading assessment and a writing assessment during this 4 hour block of time. The students are encouraged to bring a water bottle and a snack with them to school for their break time. Please make sure 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students are dropped off at school like it is a a regular school day. They need to head to the back of the building and they will be let in when the morning bell rings. All students in grades 3-5 will be dismissed in front of the elementary building at 12:00pm to be picked up by 12:15pm.

Kindergarten - Please make sure you sign your child up with their Literacy teacher.

Mrs. Bowman https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs

Ms. Peters https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs1

Mrs. Wells https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs2

Mrs. Wilson https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs3

1st Grade - Please make sure you sign your child up with their Literacy teacher.

Ms. Kim https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mskims

Mrs. Ramsey https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs4

Mrs. Spletzer https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs5

Mrs. Wall shttps://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs6

2nd Grade - Please make sure you sign your child up with their Literacy teacher.

Ms. Bolger https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-msbolgers

Mrs. Falace https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs7

Mrs. Lee https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs8

Mrs. Ross https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0D44ACA829A0FE3-mrs9

If you have any questions, please reach out to your student’s homeroom teacher or Missy Hischke.

No Sibling After School Care - December 18-20

There is no sibling after school care starting on Tuesday, December 18 through Thursday, December 20 since all secondary students will be taking their finals in the morning.

Child Assault Prevention Program

For Students in Kindergarten and New-to-Stargate Students - Last year the workshops were presented to all students in K-5

During the next few weeks, (December 12, 13, and 17) Stargate School will be participating in the Child Assault Prevention (CAP) Program.  As parents concerned about the safety of your children, we hope you will participate in this program with us by attending this adult training.

CAP seeks to prevent child assault by teaching children to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations (bullying, stranger abduction, & sexual assault).  CAP also prepares adults who are a part of the child’s community (teachers and parents) to help children in this journey.

The success of the CAP program depends on the support of the school community.  Because we encourage children to share their experiences and concerns with adults, it is important that parents and school personnel be willing and able to respond to these concerns.   We invite you to attend the CAP Parent Training on December 10, 2018 from 6:30-8:30 pm at Stargate School in the elementary commons. Parent participation is crucial for program success. Please make every effort to attend. This meeting is for adults only.

This presentation will be a comprehensive discussion of the following topics:

An overview of sexual assault issues & dynamics including:

• Definitions and prevalence of sexual assault

• Blame, denial, & lying

• Myths & Facts of Victims & Perpetrators

• The cycle of abuse & how to stop it

• Safety Tips and Tools for parents regarding issues of Bullying, Stranger Awareness, Sexual Assault

• Warning signs of possible perpetrators

• Why children are vulnerable to assault & how to empower them

• CAP’s successful prevention model to decrease children’s vulnerability to assault

• A complete description of the children’s classroom presentations

• Question & Answer & Review of take home materials for parents

In the days following this presentation, we will be conducting CAP classroom workshops at Stargate School for all kindergarten students and all new-to-Stargate students. Last year the workshops were presented to all grade levels in grades K-5. Please attend this parent in-service so we can all help our children be Safe, Strong and Free!  For additional information regarding the CAP program please visit their website at www.FrontRangeCAP.org .

NEW Teacher Led Recorder Club- 3rd-5th Grade Students only

Tuesday and Thursdays  3:15-4:15 1/15-2/21

Did you know that playing an instrument is scientifically prove to: Boost your math skills, teach patience and discipline, relieve stress, use the creative/right side of your brain, foster a sense of achievement and work better with a group. Help your child succeed and join the Club!

Hosted by Mrs. Ware Club Price $15.00  Recorder Cost $7.00

Holiday Giving Tree

Support the Stargate Giving Tree for families in need of holiday cheer. We need gift cards to grocery/household stores like King Soopers, Safeway, Walmart! Drop off $25 gift cards no later than December 18th to either Front Office. Tags will be available starting tomorrow but are not required.

December 13 - The Rusty Bucket and Panda Express Dining Night Out

Join Stargate friends, family and staff at our next Dining Out Night, Thursday, December 13th. Enjoy great times and great meals at The Rusty Bucket (located in The Orchard's) and the new Panda Express (on 144th and I-25).

Contest Alert -- Kids and Stargate teachers and staff: Enter your name into our drawing the night of the event at both locations for a chance to win lunch from Panda Express. A lunch (entree and a drink of your choice will be delivered to you at Stargate one day in the month of December.

The Rusty Bucket event is valid all day (lunch, dinner or snacks) and they will donate 15% of all qualified purchase to Stargate when you show they flyer (hard copy or digital version). Please note for the Rusty Bucket, the offer is valid towards Dine-In only, food and soft beverages only. Not valid towards gift card purchases.  

Panda Express will donate 50% of all purchases from 4pm - 8pm when the flyer is displayed (hard copy or digital version on your phone or Ipad) when you place your order.

Flyers are located here.

It is that time again...Yearbooks!

Hello! The elementary yearbook is now in the production process!  Thank you to our our 5th grade student committee and parent volunteers for taking on this project.  After much research and discussion, it was determined that it is best to go with Pictavo again this year.  The elementary book can be ordered online only and the cost is $50 ($52.63 with tax) until January 19. After that date, the price increases to $55 until March 16.  All orders must be placed no later than March 16. Please know there is not an option for personalization this year. I would recommend you keep a copy of your purchase receipt in case there is an issue at distribution.  The distribution date is scheduled for early May.  The school code is 82025.   

To order the 2018-2019 book online, please use the following link:  https://commpe.pictavo.com/PictavoSchool/FindSchool

Yearbook Committee Meeting

We will meet on Thursdays, from 3:15-4:00 in an elementary room to be determined.  Please plan to pick your child up by 4:05.  The meeting dates are as follows: January: 10, 17, 24, 31; February:  7, 21, 28 (last meeting).

Stargate Music Teacher Earns $1,000 Grant

Elementary School music teacher Mr. Osburn recently earned a $1,000 grant from the Toshiba America Foundation. The grant will help Mr. Osburn realize his vision for a totally original musical score and script about a girl overcoming math anxiety in geometry and algebra - written, produced and directed by Mr. O himself! Stargate 5th graders designed and build part of the set. Watch for this musical to be performed next year during a celebration of Mr. Osburn's 20 years at Stargate. Congratulations!

BYOD Guidelines for 5th Grade Families

In Stargate Middle and High School, students are expected to have their own device and bring it daily to school.  With upcoming Holiday deals, we thought it would be helpful for you to have this in case you want to find a great deal for your student!

Click HERE for the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) Guidelines document.

Second Annual Stargate Snowhounds Ski-trip to Loveland Ski Area
Stargate’s Specials Team is offering a daytrip for third - fifth graders during our spring parent/teacher conference. The first fifty students who sign up will be enrolled in ski or snowboard school by their ability level and enjoy a day on the slopes and lunch with friends. The bus will leave Stargate Elementary School on Thursday, February 14th at 7:00 AM and return to the school at 6:00 PM. The $110 fee includes the cost for transportation, equipment rental, all day ski lesson, lift ticket and lunch. (Students can bring their own equipment, but we cannot negotiate any price reduction) The fee must be paid by January 31, 2019. Please sign up here.

Lost and Found

Please be sure to check the Lost and Found tables. All items will be donated over Winter Break.

Outside Clubs-January/February Session

Sticky Fingers Tuesdays 1/15-2/21

Contact-Kimberly Douglas www.stickyfingerscooking.com

THYME to TURNIP the BEET on WHAT KIDS EAT™

5 one hour cooking classes open to students in K-5th

Let your child release their inner chef! Students will prepare and eat healthy, globally-inspired recipes all while loving and learning to cook in a fun, engaging and irresistibly tasty way that will turn even the pickiest eaters into avid food explorers!

Our fun, inspiring and creative chef instructors mix together a sense of engagement and excitement as they combine the love of cooking and fun nutritional facts (even a few bad jokes!), safe cooking skills and hygiene, jokes, geography, math skills, food culture and history to help instill a lifetime love of delicious, healthy family cooking.

Your kids will have a blast every week discovering how easy and fun it is to cook (and gobble-up!) tasty, healthy, American classics as well as globally-inspired Sticky Fingers Cooking recipes! Sticky Fingers Cooking offers young chefs the chance to explore exciting tastes, all seasonal and as local as possible, master culinary skills that they can put to use in family kitchens, all while nourishing their bodies and minds.

We practice safe chopping, measuring and mixing skills, use a wide array of cooking utensils all while creating awesomely delicious recipes from the freshest ingredients. Full recipes will be created each class with our AWESOME Master Chef Sticky Fingers Cooking instructors.

Each delicious new recipe prepared by your young chef will be accessible here on our website after each class (www.stickyfingerscooking.com/recipes)  FOR COOKING-UP SOME DELICIOUS FAMILY FUN AT HOME!

Bricks 4 Kidz- Tuesdays 1/15-2/21

Register at www.bricks4Kidz.com/510

Energy is Everywhere—We get energy from many sources.  This session will look at these different sources and reinforce it by building motorized Lego versions using our project kits.  From an oil pump to solar panels and windmills—this one has it all! At the end of the session, each child will create a custom Lego mini figure to keep!

Science Matters-Thursdays 1/15-2/21

Register at www.sciencematters.tv

Our clubs combine fun and science by incorporating teacher demonstrations and hands on activities in a fun, science filled classroom. Each week, students also complete a take home project that reinforces the science concept being taught.   

Art Club (Young Rembrandts) Tuesdays Dates-1/15-2/21

Contact-Michelle Brewer  michelle.brewer@youngrembrandts.com

Register at https://denvernw.asapconnected.com/?org=4027#evented=1268537

Our Winter session of Young Rembrandts brings all new drawings. We’ll learn about famous artist Leonardo Da Vinci and even recreate the Mona Lisa. There will be a lot of variety in our class with drawings like Land of Sweets, Ice Fishing, the Great Wall of China & more! Don’t miss out, enroll now!

ArtVentures Club-Thursdays

Register at www.artventuresdenver.com Contact Kristen Roberts kristenroberts62g@gmail.com

Our elementary-age curriculum is designed to teach basic to advanced drawing skills, art techniques and vocabulary. We believe that drawing is the bedrock skill required for future artistic success. We give them skills to express their creativity, and believe that all children can – and should – learn to draw. You’ll see increased art abilities, learning skills, self-confidence and self-esteem.

Session 3-Clay Exploration-KG-2nd Grade Only-1/17,1/24,1/31,2/7,2/21

Minecraft Club-Thursdays

Register at infoatexplorationuniverse.org

Contact Robin Comeaux

Exploration Universe will be holding a Minecraft Club for 2nd-5th graders!!! • Your Minecraft player can come for an hour each week and play in a world with other players! • This is a fun club and a chance to play in the same world with the rest of the club.

Little Medical School-Calling All Future Doctors!  Thursdays 1/15-2/21 | 6 weeks

Kids love to dress up and play doctor! At Little Medical School® we encourage children to do this as they explore the exciting and inspiring world of medicine. Using role-playing, interactive demonstrations, crafts, and games, kids learn how the body and organs work, how to use instruments that real doctors use, administer first aid, and more! Each child will receive a medical stethoscope to take home in addition to a disposable white lab coat, multiple models made by the students, and a diploma as a graduate of Little Medical School.Little Medical School Club

Registration Link: https://campscui.active.com/orgs/LittleMedicalSchoolNorthDenver?season=2487204&location=1185805

Rhythm and Percussion with Sound Math Thursdays K-5th | 1/15-2/21 | 6 weeks

Experience the revolutionary method by music education visionary and educator of gifted students, Curtis Madigan. Develop rhythmic skills that can transfer onto other instruments. Learn secrets of movement mechanics, ways of listening, and how to attack the instrument to develop tremendous tone and timing. We use a beautiful blend of professional quality hand-percussion instruments like djembe, cajon, darbuka, claves and more.

Register at soundformationmusic.com/registration or call 303-903-8360.

Health Policy-When to Keep your Student Home

District policy states your child must stay home for at least 24 hours if he/she is sent home from school with any of the following:

• Fever of 100 or above

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

Staff information to help with processes

• Sandy Francis - Elementary 504 Coordinator K-5 and ELL Coordinator for K-12

• Nancy Provataris - Elementary School Psychologist

• Chris Fee - K-3 Learning Services Provider

• Patrick Holmbo - 4-5 Learning Services Provider

• Sara Moeller - Elementary Assistant Principal

• Veronica Vieyra - Administrative Assistant to Missy Hischke and Sara Moeller

• Lori Bustamante - Elementary Registrar

• Traci Snouffer-Elementary Health Aide

Comments