week of 11-10-2014

posted Nov 9, 2014, 7:30 PM by Shalaine Root   [ updated Nov 9, 2014, 7:30 PM by Lisa Griffin ]
We have author Bryan Davis visiting with us all day Monday to talk about his journey as an author and to do a writing workshop with us in the morning.  We are excited to have this opportunity to work with a published author.  Thank you to one of our parents for helping us to bring him to our school.  He will also have some of his books available for purchase.  He is also having a community meeting on Tuesday night in Louisville at 6pm at the Eclectic Cafe.

On Tuesday we are out of school to observe Veteran's Day.  Thank you to all of our veterans and service members for keeping us the land of the free and the home of the brave.

On Wednesday we will have our Second Step, Study Skills day.  We will still have electives on Wednesday and the times will be the same however we will be doing lessons from the Second Step program as well as some study skills.  We decided as a Middle School team that there wasn't a good way for us to make sure that every kiddo received the lessons during advisory since not everyone has an advisory so we created 4 special days throughout the year to meet to ensure that every kiddo gets the lessons from each of these programs.

Thursday we will have our vocabulary quiz and get our new words. 

Please remember as you check out Infinite Campus and your grades that Responsibility grades make up 10% of your grade.  Also remember that this is scored on a two point scale; if the homework is here in class completed at the start of class, it is two points; if it is partially completed, one point; and not complete or not here,  no points.  These points are earned at the time that I walk around and check homework, you can not earn them back.

This Wednesday's elective is our version of a coffee house writing group.  I have enjoyed reading the creative stories. :) 

I will be doing book orders, if you are interested, please see me.  Checks can be made out to Scholastic Book clubs or you can bring cash to me or you can order on-line by looking for my page on Scholastic Book Clubs and using the code HFH8N.  

Please remember that if you are absent on a day that an assignment, project or test is due that assignment, project or test is due on the day that you return to class.

There is information for my different classes, please be sure to look at your information.

L2

Our next set of jobs are due on Thursday for our alternate reality books.  This will be our 2nd job for our second books.  The books to choose from are: The Last Book in the UniverseBarcode TattooUgliesGathering BlueMessengerSon,and Turn About.  Students were allowed to choose a book that sounded interesting and that is how they selected their groups.  Once in their groups they chose how far to read and who would do which job from the job list.  Each time they meet a job is due (the students have the list of jobs and expectations) and the group will discuss the book so far.  At the end of the meeting they will choose how far to read for next time and change jobs.  Each student will be expected to read at least two books from the list of choices.

I am working on two different field trips: Dec. 5 to see A Christmas Carol at CU Boulder.  Parents are welcome, I need to give them a final count by November 20.  The cost is $15 per person to cover the buses and the tickets.  The director and some of the actors are going to come out and do a talk back with us after the show.  Permission slips are coming home this week.  Please let me know if you would like to go with us.

Dec. 12 to see The Giver at Cinnebar.  Permission slips are coming home this week.

We are also doing some work with non-fiction reading and writing and how that is different than when we read in fiction.

We are continuing our Writer's Notebooks. This is a place to record thoughts, ideas, ponderings, stories, ect. Students need to be writing for at least 20 minutes each entry and they need at least 2 entries per week. They should have 23 entries by 11/16. Students will keep their WN at home until we have a WN check, about every 20 entries or so.  I will start collecting WN for a check starting next week.

Vocab #5 quiz is 11/13. 

L3

We are going to write an editorial persuasive piece about a current event about which the student feels strongly.  We have been reading about some in the Junior Scholastic Magazine.  They are going to have to present arguments for both sides and give a call to action (what should be done and who should do it). We had a brief conversation about topics Friday due to the K-4 pep assembly.  I would prefer that they do different topics so we are going to need to be able to decide topics on Thursday, however it may be interesting to see what each kiddo comes up with if they have similar topics so we will see how the conversation goes on Thursday.  The kiddos should have some beginning research about their top three choices for Thursday to help them to narrow their choices.  We had several interesting current event/issues- Global warming, health care for developing countries, Colony Collapse Disorder, animal extinction, and school safety to name a few. Once we have topics chosen, the kiddos will need to research their topic so that they are able to speak about it from both sides and then they can begin writing their editorial argument.  They will also need to an idea as to how to solve/work on the issue for their call to action as well as who is responsible for completing the work to solve/fix/help the issue.  We will be working on this through next week.  Technology availability and dependability will factor into the due date.

We are continuing our Writer's Notebooks. This is a place to record thoughts, ideas, ponderings, stories, ect. Students need to be writing for at least 20 minutes each entry and they need at least 2 entries per week. They should have 23 entries by 11/16. Students will keep their WN at home until we have a WN check, about every 20 entries or so.  I will start collecting WN for a check next week.

Vocab #5 quiz is 11/13.

Comments