April 2014

posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:07 PM by Shelly Krill   [ updated Sep 10, 2016, 10:20 AM by Lisa Griffin ]
Wow! There is an old folk song that says "whoa, oh, this old world keeps spinnin' 'round. It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down"
Seems like that is exactly what has happened with my 7th grade blog.  We HAVE been doing a lot of wonderful work since my last post, but let me catch up on what we are currently working on and what's coming up.

Currently students are working on an Author's study. Parents and students reviewed the various options and our class has chosen to look at a wide variety of authors including James Patterson, Scott Westerfeld, Joan Bauer, Jules Verne, Walter Dean Myers, Brian Jacques, and Ray Bradbury. The spent much of the two weeks prior to break reading their books (at least 2 per author). This week they are working on some comparisons of the various works and analysis of author style. 

The graded components of this unit are
(group) discussion notes (2 separate discussions) (due before spring break)
(ind) Think mark for book 1 (due before spring break)
(group) Analysis poster comparing the author's style, language, plot development, character development, etc. (Due April 2)
(group) compare and contrast organizer (students can use this as the foundation for their essay) (Due April 3)
(ind) 3-5 page essay comparing and contrasting the author's style in the various books that students' chose (Due Monday, April 7)

Because some of the books were late in arriving, some due dates have been adjusted for individuals. 
Comments